Monday, September 23, 2013

Postcard from Savannah: A Southern Indulgence


For all of my love for cross-country and global travel, I have discovered just as many treasures close to home.  And the coastal town of Savannah, Georgia is one such treasure.  Steeped in Southern flair that includes decadent cuisine, the charm-laden River Street, the waters of Tybee Island, and much more, Savannah is a slice of Southern culture to be relished.

During my last visit, I stayed in one of the hotels lining the Savannah Riverfront, which gave me access to a convenient water ferry that transported guests to and from the shops and restaurants of River Street. 


River Street is a destination within a destination, especially for food lovers, and I dare say no trip to Savannah is complete without it.  And speaking of food, there's no shortage of restaurants to satisfy your mood and tastes.  One of my favorites for delicious seafood (a must when visiting a coastal town) is Vic's on the River.  I especially enjoyed the Shrimp and Crab Crepes pictured below, as well as the beautifully quaint decor, for a perfect afternoon lunch.  

 
Shrimp and Crab Crepes

I was impressed to discover how so very well Savannah does brunch.  After a few recommendations, I settled on what became my daily, go-to brunch spot, Hueys On The River, also nestled along River Street.  It appears their secret is out with locals and visitors, alike, as evidenced by the waiting list and constant foot traffic (always a good sign when trying to decide on where to eat.)  But, if I'm being completely honest, it was their perfectly sweet, pillowy, and decadent beignets that kept me coming back for more. 

The Beignets!

And if you happen to own a sweet tooth (yes, I'm guilty), then River Street will offer every indulgence you can imagine.  Homemade fudge, ice cream, candy and caramel apples are a few of the sweet delicacies that await.  


Beyond all the noshing, there's no shortage of sights and scenes to take in.  I enjoyed browsing the local shops, taking in a riverboat cruise and splashing in the waters of Tybee Island, an island and city that are only a short drive from the heart of Savannah.  My only semblance of regret is wishing I had planned more time for hanging out and exploring that fun area, but that's what return visits are for, no? 


Night Cap: The Riverboat Cruise
Sun down over the waters of Tybee Island

When it comes to playing in my own backyard, Savannah, replete with its insatiable culture and charm, is the perfect Southern indulgence. 

Happy Eating and Travels!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© D.M.R. Fine Foods. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig