Friday, December 28, 2012

Homemade Granola

I had been planning to make a batch of homemade granola for what seemed like forever, but somehow I never got around to it.  Instead, I would default to grabbing a mix at the store, while keeping that "I'm going to make some homemade granola" song going in my head.  

Well, recently--finally--I made good on that promise to myself.  With the holidays in session and my normal pace slightly slowed, I made a scrumptious batch for the eating (and sharing) on Christmas Eve morning.  I was thrilled with the results of my inaugural batch and now there's no turning back!  With wonderful crunch, the perfect hint of maple and honey, a subtle cinnamon bite that balances the sweetness, and loads of healthy goodness, it's already become my go-to snack, cereal and topping. 

It's true that the simple things can make for really satisfying moments that you want to recreate again and again.  Homemade granola that's as easy to make as it is delicious is definitely one.  Now you've got to make it and taste for yourself.

Happy Eating!

Homemade Granola

Ingredients:
3 cups old-fashioned oats (not instant)
1 cup sliced almonds, roasted
1 cup pumpkin seeds, roasted
1 tablespoon flax seed
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon raw honey
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup raisins

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Roast almonds and pumpkin seeds in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.  Remove and reset oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, almonds, seeds, flax, cinnamon and salt.  In a small bowl, stir together the oil, maple syrup and honey.  Pour the liquid over the dry mixture and coat thoroughly. Spread the mixture evenly on a lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.  Remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Finish by stirring the cranberries and raisins into the cooled granola.  Store in an airtight container to preserve freshness.  Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from JoyofBaking.com
        
    
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Homemade granola is the best and yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete

© D.M.R. Fine Foods. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig