Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Butternut Squash Galette

Life has been on the busier side lately, so I've been away longer than usual here on the blog.  And if I had to be away, I'm glad to share that it's been a "good" busy spell.  Some exciting (but admittedly time-infringing) work to produce a second-to-none International Women's Day event on last Friday was fulfilled to my deep satisfaction.  Then there are other areas of my life that have shared my attention and focus like vacation planning (priorities, right?), along with ministry and plain 'ole adulting!


When I finally checked IWD off the list last week, I exhaled and my thoughts soon turned to "what's next" here.   And the what's next is a savory galette that wins all the awards for delicious, elegant, seasonal--and easy--fare!

I was spurred along to finally bake a Butternut Squash Galette (which has been on my baking agenda for the months prior that I've bought and stored butternut squash in my pantry) when Monday's windy spell collided with extra sunshine (translate energy) from the daylight savings turn.  And within the hour, a flaky, rustic vegetable tart--accented with tangy, herbed goat cheese (so good!)--was ready to be consumed.

I normally make a tried and true pastry dough, but because I was eager to crank out this too-long delayed delicacy, I opted for one of my all time favorite shortcuts: puff pastry.  And I have to say, the crispy flakiness has me thinking this was the best move after all.

I sliced my squash in thin rounds for a beautiful layering effect I wanted to achieve, seasoned them with olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs de provence and maple syrup, then baked them off to a tender, almost caramelized, doneness.  Then I rolled out my chilled dough, smeared on some goat cheese, layered the squash on top and folded the dough to encircle all the goodness.  A brush of egg wash and sprinkle of flaked sea salt on the dough to finish was all that stood between the tart and the hot oven.

Despite the amazing ease of bringing this dish together, its casual elegance shines through.  It's perfect as a hearty appetizer or served with a side or two for lunch or dinner.

So here's to less busy-ness (for now anyway :) ) and more....

Happy Eating!

Butternut Squash Galette
Ingredients:
1 medium-sized butternut squash
Olive oil
Salt (Kosher and Flaked Sea Salt)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Herbs de Provence
Maple Syrup
Herbed Goat Cheese
1 Puff-Pastry Sheet
1 egg, beaten

Method:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Peel squash and slice into thin rounds.  Toss squash with oil, kosher salt, pepper, herbs and maple syrup (all ingredients measured to taste.)  Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until cooked and slightly browned.

Remove squash from oven and set aside.  Lower oven temperature to 400 degrees F.    

Roll out pastry into a round and smear softened goat cheese in the center, being sure to leave a border.  Layer squash onto pastry and fold edges of pastry up to enclose the ingredients.  Brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with flaked sea salt.  

Place tart on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until pastry is golden brown.  Remove from oven, slice and enjoy! 



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© D.M.R. Fine Foods. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig