Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Homemade Applesauce

I'm an apple lover, so apple "anything"--pie, crisps, tarts, candy (you get the picture)--has always been a welcomed part of my eating repertoire.  Applesauce is no exception and, in fact, has been a favorite since my earliest childhood memories.


While I've done my fair share of apple dishes over the years, last year's Thanksgiving dinner was the first time I decided to make homemade applesauce.  Where had I been all this time?  It was every bit as scrumptious and satisfying as I anticipated--pairing beautifully with my roasted porkloin--and easier than most apple creations that come through my kitchen.  It was clear: this recipe was a keeper.

As wonderful, seasonal dishes go, this is one that belongs in your fall/holiday repertoire, for sure.  I like the mix of sweeter red and tarter green apples, but you can use whatever you like--or happen to have on hand.  Although simple, it's a stunner of a dish with the taste to match.

Happy Eating!

Homemade Applesauce

Ingredients:
4-6 lbs. of apples, peeled, cored and cut into slices
1 cup apple cider
Juice of a lemon
1/2 cup light brown sugar
Heaping teaspoon of cinnamon
Pinches of allspice and nutmeg

Method:
Combine all ingredients into a large pot and cook over a medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking/scorching, about 25 minutes.

Once apples have softened and begun to dissolve/melt, remove from heat and blend to desired texture and consistency with an immersion blender or in a food processor.  Serve warm or chilled--and enjoy!

Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© D.M.R. Fine Foods. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig