Saturday, December 23, 2017

Chocolate Truffles (& A Food Story)

Ten years. TEN YEARS!

I recently came up for air and realized that, indeed, it has been ten years since I first "went public" (read: beyond doting family and friends) with my food passion and journey.  I had been cooking, baking--and sharing--well before then, but ten years ago (the holiday season of 2007, to be exact), I decided to take my love of creating and sharing great food to another level.  And it was then that my inaugural Holiday Sweets and Treats Menu was born.


When I set about this whirlwind task of developing the menu (the easy part--and 100% inspiration) and subsequently fulfilling 35 orders that first Christmas (yes, 35!!!--and more in the queue that I had to decline as the word spread), I didn't have any more immediate plans on this front.  Because let me tell you: that. was. some. work.--100% perspiration.

Still, I took immense pleasure in the fact that people responded to my food--and wanted to pay me for it! (A sensation I imagine most creatives and entrepreneurs experience.)  I made everything from scratch (the purist in me is still alive and well all these years later.)  I had personalized ribbons with my new chosen name, D.M.R. Fine Foods, designed to adorn the delivery boxes.  And, finally, I personally packaged--and delivered--every order to each precious customer across the Metropolitan Atlanta area (the majority of whom were...strangers!)  It was the ultimate labor of love--and one that has brought me to this very moment in time...in grateful retrospection.



This has been one of the best surprises and journeys of my life so far--replete with blessing after continual blessing.  I'm so grateful to God for the gifts and talents He's graced me with and for allowing me to share them with those who cross my path in real life or virtually.  And THE BEST IS YET TO COME!


As an ode to that first menu and the abundant memories, I'm sharing a delicious, indulgent confection that has been with me since that initial launch: my rich Chocolate Truffles.  And because they're so easy to pull together, you can make them now and enjoy them in time for Christmas--and beyond!

Here's to ten years and counting, a Merry Christmas....and, as always, Happy Eating!

Chocolate Truffles
Ingredients:
8 oz. semisweet (good quality) chocolate --some of my favorites are Lindt and Ghirardelli 
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Confectioner's Sugar
Dutch (Unsweetened) Cocoa 

Method:
Finely chop chocolate and set aside in a heat-proof bowl.  

Add cream to a heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Stir in vanilla.  Let cool for 20 seconds.

Pour hot cream over chocolate and stir to melt chocolate completely.  (Cook's Note: If chocolate still has lumps, place bowl over a pot of simmering water--being careful that the bowl doesn't touch the water--and continue to stir until the mixture is completely melted and smooth.) 

Refrigerate for at least two hours and then using a small ice cream scoop or teaspoon, scoop out the truffles.  They don't have to perfect; it's meant to be rustic as a mimic to the real (savory) truffles.

To finish, roll truffles in powdered sugar and cocoa (and any other coatings you prefer.)  Serve and enjoy!


   
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© D.M.R. Fine Foods. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig