Sunday, June 24, 2012

Soup-er Delicious Gazpacho

Sometimes my inspiration for a dish comes from nothing other than a craving for certain flavors and foods.  And such was the case on a recent Sunday afternoon.  I began craving, without exaggeration, the flavors that combine beautifully to create gazpacho.  Fresh tomatoes, English cucumber, peppers, shallot, garlic, and an acidic tang with a hint of spice.  Gazpacho, right?  Well, that's where my cravings led me--and happily so.

Because that Sunday afternoon was the Sunday following a Saturday trip to the farmer's market, I had all of my ingredients on hand.  (This is nothing short of a true feat when it comes to impromptu cooking in my kitchen.)  I did improvise a bit, substituting the traditional red onion for the shallot in my pantry, but nothing was lost in translation.

What I was craving was fresh, flavorful and good-for-you scrumptious eating that celebrated the best of simple,  yet in-depth, tastes.  And going from craving to satisfaction in mere moments was a welcomed bonus.  This soup comes together as fast as you can grab and chop your vegetables, toss them in the blender or food processor, toss in your seasonings and puree away.

If you need any final convincing that this soup is not-to-be-missed, then consider that it's perfect for cooling down on hot days and works well as a meal-in-one (I like to pair it with toasted breadcrumbs or herbed pita bread), or as a soup course for your favorite Summer menu.

I'm raving over it because I enjoy it that much, and I'm sure you will, too.

Happy Eating!

Gazpacho
Ingredients:
2 lbs. Roma tomatoes, chopped 
1/2 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 medium shallots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (optional)
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Juice of 1/2 lemon 
Fresh basil strips, for garnish

Method:
Place tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, shallots, jalapeno and garlic in a processor or blender and pulse to coarsely chop ingredients.  Add in vinegar, olive oil, Worcestershire, lemon juice, salt and pepper and continue processing until mixture is liquefied.  Add additional seasoning, to taste, as desired.  Chill, garnish with basil and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Epicurious




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© D.M.R. Fine Foods. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig