Wednesday, June 20, 2018

{Be Inspired!}: Summer Reading

A favorite pastime in my local bookstore
Summer and reading have always been a favorite pair for me.  And if I'm being completely honest, it goes all the way back to my childhood. I fondly remember the times when choosing and checking out library books through the mail, no less, brought as much joy and preoccupation as riding my bike and watching my favorite t.v. shows.  It was almost as if I couldn't read the books, mail them back, and order new ones, fast enough. (I'm still in awe at how amazing my county library system was to put books and the love of reading at our fingertips.)

Then there were the suggested (ahem, mandatory) Summer reading lists that would follow in later years.  And I was still sold and fascinated all the same.  I even managed an "advanced for my age" title or two.  Like the Summer I read Alice Walker's, The Color Purple, at the ripe age of 11 and returned to my 6th grade English class in the new school year ready to do a book report on the work.  I don't recall if that went over well with my teacher, but I'll never forget how glad I was to have the full, robust backdrop of the book when the acclaimed movie was later released.

I could go on and on about the many expressions that my love for books, the written word--poetry, prose, history, literature, everything--and reading have taken over the course of my life, but I'll save those for future posts. :)  For now, suffice it to say that I'm eager to get some new titles under my belt as the season unfolds.

I haven't firmed up my selection yet, but with Summer officially arriving this week, I'm motivated to do so sooner than later.  I recently came across this list of 8 Non-Cookbook Food Books curated by Bon Appetit.  A couple of these titles are definitely piquing my interest, so we'll see where I ultimately land.

And what about you?  Do you enjoy a Summer read, or two, or four?  What's your favorite genre? Author(s)?  I'd love to know what's on your list!

No matter your preference, we can all celebrate the gift of books and...

Happy Reading!




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© D.M.R. Fine Foods. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig