Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Hasselback Butternutsquash with Maple Butter

Happy Thanksgiving Eve! If you've been taking my advice ;), you're probably well along the path of Thanksgiving prep by now.  But, if I may, I have to share a recipe that really should land a spot on your Thanksgiving--and beyond--menu. Why? Because it's the quintessential perfect dish (translation: comes together easily, is stunning, and tastes ah-mazing!)


If you're like me, then you can't get enough of butternut squash, especially during this time of the year.  And since I've always admired the beauty of the hasselback technique (namely on potatoes), when I saw it done on butternut squash, I knew I had to finally try my hand.  And if my virtual oohs and ahhs are any indication, this one's a definite keeper.  Need more convincing?  This dish now ranks as one of my all-time favorite side dishes. 

So without further delay, here's the recipe for Hasselback Butternut Squash. I finished these with a generous pour of maple butter, chopped walnuts (for a bit of crunch and texture) and sage, for added color and freshness.  Confession: I shared "the making" of these on my instastory feed on yesterday evening (you can watch it in my 'The Holidays' highlights once the stories expire) and took a poll on whether I should share the full recipe in time for Thanksgiving.  The overwhelming majority said they wanted it, so here we are.

Blessings for a Happy Thanksgiving and, as always, Happy Eating!

Hasselback Butternut Squash with Maple Butter

Ingredients:
1 large butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise and seeds removed  
Olive oil
Kosher Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Chopped walnuts, toasted
Fresh sage, torn in small pieces

Method:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Peel and prep squash.  Place on a baking sheet and drizzle generously with oil.  Season liberally with salt and bake in the preheated oven for twenty minutes.  Remove from oven and slice the squash in 1/8 in. thick slits without cutting all the way through to keep squash intact.  Cook's Note: place butter knives on either side of the squash to help with the cutting precision.

Sprinkle squash with cinnamon, nutmeg and more salt, to taste.  Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes.  While waiting, melt the butter in a small saucepan and add in the maple syrup.  Stir to combine and set aside to cool slightly.

Take squash from the oven and generously pour maple butter over it (you can do this on the baking sheet or move it to the serving dish first and then dress with the butter.)  Finish with a garnish of walnuts and sage.  Enjoy!

Dish can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to reheat and serve.  

Recipe adapted from How Sweets Eat


  


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© D.M.R. Fine Foods. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig