Friday, March 31, 2017

Cherry Upside-Down Cake

There will always be certain foods and tastes that whisk me right back to my childhood.  And upside-down cake--of the pineapple variety--is one.  While it was never a staple in my family's baking repertoire, I was always delighted when I happened upon a well executed (or otherwise) taste of this unconventional cake.  Unconventional in my childhood meant sans frosting.  And with cooked fruit.  The only cake in my confectionery world that hit those marks back then was my mom's Christmas Fruit Cake (and, shhh... I was never really a fan.)  Still, the sweet and caramelized pineapple atop decadent, sponge-like cake worked for me.

Fast forward a "few" years, and I happened upon a recent cherry rendition via Bon Appetit.  A one bowl wonder, and the memories of upside-down cake indulgence of days gone by, fueled my resolve to bake. this. cake.  And I'm so glad I did.

A leisure Sunday afternoon provided the perfect backdrop for abandoning myself to the tasks of prepping, baking, "unmolding" (fingers were crossed!), and finally tasting this gem of a dessert.  The sweet, dark cherries, accented with hints of citrus, and the buttery, melt-in-your-mouth cake made for a great pairing--and not too few cake, coffee, cake, tea, cake rotations in the days since.

Frozen cherries worked fine, so there's virtually no hassle in assembling your ingredients and getting down to baking business.  Add it to your baking agenda--and your memories will soon thank you, also.

Happy Eating!

Cherry Upside-Down Cake
  

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© D.M.R. Fine Foods. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig