Sunday, January 5, 2014

Whole Roasted Branzino + The Fixins'


Food memories can be some of the sweetest to recall, transporting you back to times, places, scenes--and tastes--that make life special for all the right reasons.   One such memory recently came to mind, as I recalled a scrumptious Whole Roasted Branzino that I had enjoyed at the Italian food emporium, Eataly, during one of my jaunts to NYC.

A simple, yet elegant, preparation served up amazingly moist and succulent fish, with a crispy skin to match, for one of the best seafood bites I had enjoyed to date.  And with that delicious memory now back in view, I set out to bring the same delectable bite to my kitchen. 



My first time preparing a whole fish, rather than fillets, I was excited as much by the presentation of the dish, as I was the preparation.  I decided to stuff the fish with the wonderful flavors of citrus, onion and herbs, with an outcome that was as delicious as what I recalled at the restaurant.  I added to the decadence with a creamy parsnip puree and crispy, roasted kale to round out one amazing meal—and another delectable memory.

Happy Eating!


Whole Roasted Branzino
Ingredients:
2 Whole Branzino, cleaned, with head and tail intact (tip: get your fishmonger to do this)
Fresh thyme sprigs
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice and lemon slices for stuffing
Onion slices
Kosher Salt
Flaked Sea Salt, optional
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine 
1/4 cup water 

Method: 
Preheat oven to 350°F. 

Sprinkle fish inside and out with kosher salt and pepper. Stuff each with thyme sprigs, onion and lemon slices. Arrange fish in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Pour in wine, 1/4 cup water, and lemon juice. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil.

Roast fish 35 minutes. Remove from oven and finish with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of sea salt, if using.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit

Roasted Kale   
Ingredients:
Kale, chopped or torn into leaves
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Method:
Arrange kale on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.  Toss to combine and place in preheated 350 F oven.  Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until preferred crispness. 
 
 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© D.M.R. Fine Foods. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig